At a glance
Estonia joined the euro area on 1 January 2011. The euro replaced the Estonian kroonid (EEK) on the same day at a conversion rate of EUR 1 = EEK 15.6466. The Council adopted a decision enabling Estonia to join the euro area on 13 July 2010.
Estonia is represented by Andrus Ansip, Prime Minister, at Euro Summit meetings and by its Minister for Finance, Jürgen Ligi, at Eurogroup meetings.
- Adoption of the euro: 01/01/2011
- Former currency: Estonian kroonid (EUR 1 = 15.6466 EEK )
- GDP per capita (current prices): €11 900 (2011 - Eurostat)
- Number of votes at the Council of the EU: 4
- Member of the Schengen area: Yes
- Official languages: Estonian (et)
Estonia has a unicameral parliamentary system. The Parliament (Riigikogu) is composed of 101 members, elected for four years.
The President of the Republic is the head of state and is elected by the Parliament for five years.
The President has a primarily representative function. Executive power rests with the Prime Minister, who is appointed by Parliament.
- Political system: republic
- Voting age: 18, voting not compulsory
- National Day: 24 February (date of the declaration of independence from Russia – 1918)