At a glance
Malta has been a member of the euro area since 1 January 2008. Euro banknotes and coins were introduced on the same day. The euro replaced the Maltese lira (MTL) at a conversion rate EUR 1 = MTL 0.429300.
Malta is represented by Joseph Muscat, Prime Minister, at Euro Summit meetings and by its Minister of Finance, Edward Scicluna, at Eurogroup meetings.
- Adoption of the euro: 01/01/2008
- Former currency: Maltese lira (EUR 1 = MTL 0.429300 )
- GDP per capita (current prices): €15 300 (2011 - Eurostat)
- Number of votes at the Council of the EU: 3
- Member of the Schengen area: Yes
- Official languages: English (en), Maltese (Maltese)
Malta has a unicameral parliamentary system. The House of Representatives (Kamra tar-Rappreżentanti) has 69 members elected for five years.
- Political system: parliamentary republic
- Voting age: 18, voting not compulsory
- National Day: 21 September (Independence Day – 1964)
Permanent Representation to the EU
Rue Archimède/Archimedesstraat 25
Tel. +32 23430195